The project under implementation by UNDP in Bosnia and Herzegovina and UNODC's Global Firearms Programme aims at enhancing the capacities of the Indirect Taxation Authority (i.e. the Customs Authority in Bosnia and Herzegovina) to better combat illicit arms trafficking through the development of standard operating procedures on processing illicit SALW and other goods’ trade, provision of training, and procurement of specialized equipment for the detection of smuggled firearms. The project also contributes to strengthened cooperation and information exchange between the Indirect Taxation Authority and other institutions at the national and regional levels through joint trainings, working visits, and cross-border operations.
This intervention is tailor-made and seeks to address the needs of Bosnia and Herzegovina outlined in several strategies, including but not limited to the SALW Strategy 2016-2020 and the respective action plan, the Strategy for fight against organized crime and the Strategy for Preventing and Combating Terrorism (2015 – 2020).
The project contributes to Roadmap Goals 2, 3, 4, 5 and key performance indicators 4, 6, 9, 10, 14 of the Roadmap for a sustainable solution to the illegal possession, misuse and trafficking of Small Arms and Light Weapons and their ammunition in the Western Balkans.
Implementing period: February 2020 – June 2023
Results achieved as of 31 March 2021:
- Need assessments conducted for better understanding the gaps and priorities of the Customs Authority in BiH.
- Analysis for advancing gender equality in the Customs Sector conducted.
- Draft SOPs for tackling the illicit trade of firearms, and for detecting firearms in postal and fast parcels developed for ITA’s use.
- 55 Customs officers trained in detecting firearms and explosives following standardized procedures.
- Draft operational procedures on the detection of firearms in fast parcels developed for private courier companies in BiH.
- SALW detection equipment for BIH Customs procured.
- Operational and strategic level inter-agency working groups established to strengthen coordination among relevant BiH institutions on SALW-related issues.